Pain & Musculoskeletal Health
Chances are that if you have ever been hospitalized in your lifetime, you were given some form or fashion of IV therapy. In fact, a 2017 BMC nursing study found that 90% of inpatient stays were provided with an IV. Why would that be? There are a multitude of reasons why IV therapy is used in a clinical setting, not the least of which are solving dehydration and having instantaneous access to the blood stream for rapid resolution of malnutrition, balancing blood sugar levels, or immune system boosts.
However, you do not have to wait to be hospitalized to enjoy the tremendous benefits of IV therapy. If you are feeling sluggish, run-down, and unable to keep up with the demands of your busy life, you’re not alone. Many people today are searching for ways to improve their health and well-being, and IV therapy may the quick and effective solution that you have been seeking.
While the idea of getting an IV might sound daunting, IV therapy is a safe, effective, and increasingly popular way to get the vitamins, minerals, and fluids your body needs to perform at its best. Whether you’re looking to boost your immune system, recover from an illness, or optimize your athletic performance, IV therapy offers a range of benefits that are hard to achieve through diet or supplements alone.
So, how does IV therapy work, and what can it do for you? In this article, we’ll explore everything you need to know about IV therapy, including how it works, what it can be used for, and why it’s becoming the go-to treatment for people looking to optimize their health and performance. So, sit back, relax, and get ready to discover a new world of health and vitality with IV therapy!
An IV, or intravenous, is a medical treatment that involves the delivery of fluids, medications, vitamins, and other nutrients directly into the bloodstream through a vein. The definition of intravenous quite literally means “within a vein”. IV therapy is typically administered through a needle or catheter that is inserted into a vein, typically in the arm (inner elbow) or hand/wrist. The positioning of the IV is dependent on the patient and which of their veins is the easiest to see and access. Often a plastic band will be placed on the arm to aid in seeing the veins, thus making it easier to insert the IV.
An IV involves the use of an IV catheter, which is a small plastic and bendable tube that is inserted into a vein and must be administered by a qualified healthcare professional, such as a nurse or a physician. This is because the administration of IV therapy requires specialized knowledge and training to ensure safety, efficacy, and overall comfort for the patient. The tube is connected directly to a fluid bag that carries fluids, nutrients, or supplements based on the unique requirements of the patient. A pump is the mechanism that monitors and controls the flow of the fluid, nutrient, or supplement to ensure the proper dosage.
In addition to inserting the IV catheter, the healthcare professional must also be able to select the appropriate solution or combination of solutions to be infused through the IV. This process requires an understanding of the various types of IV solutions available, as well as an in-depth understanding of the specific and unique needs of the patient.
Finally, the healthcare professional must be able to monitor the patient during the infusion process to ensure that there are no adverse reactions or complications. This may involve monitoring vital signs, such as blood pressure and heart rate, and observing the patient for any signs of discomfort or allergic reactions.
The origins of IV therapy can be traced back to the late 1600s when a physician named Christopher Wren successfully injected fluids into the veins of animals. However, it was in the 1830s that the first successful IV infusion was performed on a human.
IV therapy became more widespread in the early 20th century, particularly during World War I when it was used to treat soldiers suffering from dehydration and shock. It was also used to administer medications and nutrition to patients who could not take them orally.
The development of modern IV therapy can be attributed to the work of Dr. Thomas Latta, a Scottish physician who, in 1832, successfully used an IV infusion to treat cholera patients. This breakthrough led to further experimentation and innovation in IV therapy. By the early 20th century, it had become an established medical treatment.
IV therapy can be used to treat a variety of health conditions and improve overall health and wellness. Due to the nature of IVs bypassing the digestive system, the treatment allows the body to tolerate higher doses of vitamins than it would if it were administered orally. Some of the most common types of IV therapy include:
- Rehydration is one of the most common uses of IV therapy. However, when we become dehydrated, our body loses essential fluids and nutrients, leading to fatigue, dizziness, and weakness. IV therapy can help to replenish lost fluids and nutrients quickly and effectively, allowing the body to function properly again. This can be especially beneficial for athletes, individuals with a busy lifestyle, and those who have experienced illness or excessive sweating.
- Immune Therapy. Another popular use of IV therapy is to boost the immune system. IV therapy can deliver high doses of vitamins and minerals directly into the bloodstream, bypassing the digestive system and ensuring maximum absorption. This can help to strengthen the immune system, making the body more resistant to illness and infection. This type of IV therapy is especially beneficial during cold and flu season or for individuals who are frequently exposed to germs, such as healthcare workers or teachers.
- IV therapy can also be used for detoxification purposes. Toxins can build up in the body over time, leading to fatigue, headaches, and other negative symptoms. IV therapy can help to flush these toxins out of the body, promoting overall health and well-being. This type of IV therapy is especially beneficial for individuals who have been exposed to environmental toxins or who have a history of heavy alcohol or drug use.
- Weight Loss. Certain vitamins and minerals can help to boost metabolism and aid in the breakdown of fat cells. IV therapy can deliver these nutrients directly into the bloodstream, helping to speed up the weight loss process. This type of IV therapy is especially beneficial for individuals who are struggling to lose weight through diet and exercise alone.
- Anti-Aging. As we age, our body’s ability to absorb and utilize certain vitamins and minerals decreases. IV therapy can help to deliver high doses of these essential nutrients directly into the bloodstream, helping to promote healthy aging and reduce the signs of aging on the skin. This type of IV therapy is especially beneficial for individuals who are looking to improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles or for those who want to promote healthy aging.
Several studies have shown a relatively low risk of complications associated with IV therapy, including a study published in the Journal of Infusion Nursing found that the overall complication rate for IV therapy was less than 1%. Another study published in the Annals of Emergency Medicine found that IV therapy was associated with a low rate of complications, with most complications being minor and easily treated.
IV therapy is generally considered safe when administered by a qualified and reputable healthcare provider. However, there are potential risks and side effects associated with IV therapy, just as with any medical treatment that may include:
- Infection: There is a risk of infection anytime a needle or catheter is inserted into the skin. To minimize the risk of infection, choosing a reputable healthcare provider who follows strict sanitation protocols and uses sterile equipment is important.
- Allergic reactions: Some people may experience allergic reactions to the fluids, medications, or nutrients used in IV therapy. Symptoms of an allergic reaction can include itching, hives, swelling, and difficulty breathing.
- Fluid overload: In rare cases, IV therapy can lead to fluid overload, which occurs when too much fluid is administered too quickly. Fluid overload can cause symptoms such as shortness of breath, swelling, and high blood pressure.
- Vein irritation or damage: Repeated IV therapy sessions can cause irritation or damage to the veins, making it more difficult to administer IV therapy in the future.
- Electrolyte imbalances: IV therapy can alter the body’s electrolyte balance, which can cause symptoms such as muscle weakness, cramping, and irregular heartbeat.
Despite these potential risks and side effects, IV therapy is generally considered safe when administered by a healthcare provider who follows proper sanitation protocols and uses sterile equipment. When looking for an IV therapy provider, it is important to find reputable healthcare professionals that use the highest quality products, equipment, and application processes. At BioFunctional Health Solutions, you can rest assured that you will find exactly that.
The length of an IV therapy session can vary depending on the individual’s needs and the specific protocol being used. However, most sessions typically take between 30 minutes to 1 hour to complete.
The frequency at which a person should receive IV therapy can vary depending on their individual needs and goals. Some people may benefit from a series of treatments spread out over several weeks or months, while others may only need occasional treatments as needed.
It is important to discuss a personalized treatment plan with a qualified healthcare provider to determine what is best for your specific needs. Our team at BioFunctional Health Solutions is standing by to help you navigate the various wellness options to determine the treatments that are right for you.
One question people often have is whether IV therapy is painful. While everyone’s pain tolerance is different, most people report that the insertion of the IV needle is relatively painless. However, some people may experience discomfort or a slight burning sensation during the infusion process.
At BioFunctional Health Solutions, we follow the following procedures to help reduce the potential discomfort during the insertion of an IV:
- Ice Pack. Prior to rubbing the injection site with an alcohol swab, we will provide an ice pack to help numb the nerves in the surrounding area.
- Allowing the Alcohol to Dry. Patients often experience a stinging sensation during an IV injection that is often associated with not allowing the injection site to dry after the alcohol swab. By allowing the site to dry, much of the burning and stinging sensations will be reduced.
- Pressure on the Skin. Our healthcare providers will insure that during the injection that your skin is held tightly to ensure there is limited pulling or “tugging” on the surface of the skin.
- Relax the Muscle. If during your visit you are concerned about the potential discomfort on an IV, we will walk you through a series of breathing and muscle relaxation exercises prior to the injection. Tensing your muscles during an IV placement significantly increases the likelihood of discomfort.
The effectiveness of IV therapy can depend on a variety of factors, including the specific nutrients being infused, the dose administered, and the individual’s overall health status. However, a multitude of studies have shown that IV therapy can be beneficial for certain conditions, such as dehydration, nutrient deficiencies, and fatigue. Here is an overview of existing research on the efficacy of IV therapy:
- A study published in the Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition found that IV nutrient therapy can be an effective way to improve the nutritional status of patients who are unable to consume nutrients orally. The study concluded that IV nutrient therapy can provide a safe and effective alternative for patients with gastrointestinal dysfunction or other conditions that make oral nutrition difficult.
- Another study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine found that IV vitamin C therapy can help improve the quality of life in cancer patients. The study found that IV vitamin C therapy was associated with reduced symptoms of fatigue, pain, and depression in cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy.
- A review article published in the Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics concluded that IV magnesium therapy can be an effective way to treat a variety of conditions, including asthma, arrhythmias, and eclampsia. The review noted that IV magnesium therapy is generally safe and well-tolerated by patients.
- Lastly, the Annals of Emergency Medicine found that IV hydration therapy can be an effective way to treat dehydration in patients with gastroenteritis. The study concluded that IV hydration therapy was associated with reduced symptoms of dehydration and improved outcomes in these patients.
Many people experience fatigue, stress, and other symptoms that can be attributed to a lack of proper nutrition. While eating a balanced diet and taking supplements can certainly help, IV therapy offers a more efficient and effective solution to solving these deficiencies. Many of our clients report feeling a noticeable difference after just one IV therapy session and within a matter of hours after the session. They report feeling more focused, energized, and rejuvenated. This is often due to the rapid and complete absorption of the solution being offered. Unlike oral supplementation which only allows for partial absorption, IV therapy allows for complete utilization of the nutrients because of its direct access to the bloodstream. The result is a more expedient and wholistic cellular response by your body. With regular sessions, the benefits can become even more profound.
Our IV therapy services are tailored to your specific needs and goals. Whether you are looking to boost your immune system, improve your athletic performance, or feel more energized and focused, we have a variety of IV blends to choose from:
- Our most popular IV blend is the Myers Cocktail, which is a powerful combination of vitamin C, B vitamins, magnesium, and calcium. This blend can help improve energy levels, reduce stress and anxiety, and even alleviate symptoms of chronic conditions like fibromyalgia and asthma.
- We also offer specialized IV blends like our Immune Boost IV, which is packed with immune-boosting nutrients like vitamin C and zinc. This blend can help prevent illness and promote faster recovery times if you do get sick.
- Another popular option is our Athletic Performance IV, which includes amino acids, B vitamins, and other nutrients that can help improve endurance, muscle recovery, and overall athletic performance.
We understand that choosing a healthcare provider can be a daunting task. That’s why we take great pride in our commitment to providing safe, effective, and reliable IV therapy services. Our Medical Director, Dr. Bradley Vilims, oversees all of our IV therapy services to ensure that they are of the highest quality and delivered with the utmost care.
In addition, we use only the highest quality ingredients and equipment to ensure that our IV therapy services are safe and effective. We also take the time to carefully evaluate each client to ensure they are a good candidate for IV therapy and to customize each IV blend to their specific needs.
IV therapy is becoming increasingly popular with many store-front and mobile options. Unfortunately, not all providers offering IV therapy are created equal. Some may lack the necessary training or experience to administer IV therapy safely and effectively, while others may use outdated equipment or solutions that could pose a risk to your health.
Choosing a reputable provider with a proven track record of success is paramount to ensuring you receive the highest quality care and avoid potentially dangerous outcomes. These may include infection, allergic reactions, or other adverse reactions to the treatment. One such provider is BioFunctional Health Solutions, located in Colorado Springs, CO.
At BioFunctional Health Solutions, our IV therapy is overseen by our Medical Director, Dr. Bradley Vilims, who has years of experience in the medical field and is committed to providing safe, effective care to every patient. Dr. Vilims and his team of skilled professionals use only the highest quality equipment and solutions, ensuring you receive the best possible care. We take great care to ensure that our IV therapy is administered safely and effectively. If you’re in the Colorado Springs area and looking for a reputable provider of IV therapy, stop by for a free consultation. You will quickly see why we are the area’s top choice for IV therapy.
IV therapy has become increasingly popular in recent years due to its many potential benefits for a wide range of health conditions and concerns. Whether you are looking to boost your immune system, improve your athletic performance, manage chronic pain or fatigue, or enhance your overall health and well-being, there is likely an IV therapy protocol that can help. The treatment can be an excellent complement to traditional healthcare approaches.
Throughout this article, we have discussed the various types of IV therapy available, the potential benefits and risks of this treatment, the effectiveness of the treatment, and how to find a reputable healthcare provider to administer the therapy.
At BioFunctional Health Solutions, we are proud to offer a range of IV therapy options overseen by our Medical Director, Dr. Vilims, who has extensive experience and expertise in this area. Our IV therapy protocols are customized to meet your individual needs and goals, considering your medical history, current health status, and any underlying conditions or concerns.
In addition to our IV therapy services, we offer various other complementary healthcare treatments, including our patented 3D musculoskeletal assessment tool and B12 shots. Our approach to healthcare is designed to help you achieve optimal health and wellness from the inside out, using various natural and non-invasive techniques to support your body’s natural healing abilities.
Contact us today to learn more about our IV therapy services and to schedule your appointment. We look forward to working with you to achieve your health and wellness goals! Our “getting started” page can be found here: Contact Us | BioFunctional Health Solutions